I prepared Ukadiche Modak to offer it to Ganpati Bappa on Anant Chaturthi, as Bappa loves it and Me & Pavan too ;-). Being it the first time, I made mistakes, wastage…so much that at one point thought to give up. Finally prepared 5 Modak for Naivaidyam. But to our surprise…it came out well. Tasty ! Not sure if it made Ganpati Bappa Happy ..but definitely Pavan was very happy with my efforts 😉
For the covering:
1 Cup Rice Flour
2 Cup Water
4 tsp Ghee
A pinch of Salt
For the filling:
1 cup grated Coconut
½ cup grated Jaggery
1 tsp Poppy Seeds (optional)
1 tsp Cardamom Powder
To make Ukad (dough) :
- Boil 2 cup of water, to that add pinch of salt and tsp of ghee.
- Once boiled, add rice flour and mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 mins. and switch off the flame.
- Cover and keep aside for 10 min.
To make Chuv (stuffing) :
- Heat a pan and put jaggery in it.
- When jaggery starts melting, add 1 tsp Ghee and coconut to it.
- Mix well and cook on medium flame for 2 mins.
- Add cardamom powder and roasted poppy seeds.
- Filling is ready, keep aside to cool.
Tip : Don’t add much Jaggery and keep it for more time on heat. As heat turns jaggery into solid.
To make Modak :
- Take ukad, apply some ghee and knead ukad in soft dough.
- Split dough in small size balls.
- Now start to pat / roll ball to small Puri.
- Now stuff it with big spoon of Chuv and start to make plates around stuffing.
- Gather all plates at the center of stuffing and try to seal edges.
- Prepare all the Modaks with same process.
- Now steam all Modaks in idli cooker for 10-12 mins.
- Serve hot with a dollop of ghee…..aaahhh!!
Its been long time I have updated my site. Actually these Laddus I prepared on the occasion of Dasera last year, but no one finished it till Diwali. No its not like Laddus were not tasty, but no one in my family does like it so it was my responsibility to finish all 5. And to my surprise I observed Laddus are getting more tasty each passing day and for last one me and Pavan literally fought 🙂
Serves : 2
2 Cup Gram Flour (Besan)
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Ghee
1 tsp Cardamom Powder
Few Cashew nuts (chopped)
- Roast coarse Gram flour in pan till it is golden brown.
- Keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Heat Ghee in pan and add Cardamom powder and sugar to it.
- Add roasted flour and mix well.
- When it releases an appetizing smell, stitch off the flame.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Now form ping-pong size balls of the mixture.
- Besan Laddus are ready to be served.
Sitafal ( Custard Apple ) is my most favourite fruit and so Sitafal Rabdi favourite dessert 🙂 . This being a season of Sitafal.. thought to offer it as Naivedyam to Ganpati Bappa and guess bappa also liked it ;P
Serves : 2
1/2 lit whole Milk
2 big Sitafal
1 tsp Milk Powder
2 tsp Sugar
- Keep milk to boil on low flame.
- Stir constantly while boiling
- Add Sugar and stir till dissolved.
- Boil milk till it comes to half.
- Now add Milk Powder and switch off stove .
- Let milk cool to room temperature.
- By that time take the seeds out from Sitafal to get pulp.
- Smash it little with hands only.
- Add this pulp to milk and mix well .
- Chill it for 3-4 hours.
- Garnish with Almond slivers and serve 🙂