I learnt this dish from Pavan, but home he will only cook it. You can say, its his Signature dish 😉 and I will simply die to have it. I wanted to post this recipe long long back, but its so tempting that as soon as its cooked, I can’t even wait to take a photograph and finish it in one go. My mom prepares it with Toor dal, but Pavan uses Masoor dal and I guess that makes it more tasty .
Serves : 2
- 1 Small Cup -Red Dal
- 2 Cup Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Goda masala
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 Onion
- 2-3 Green chillis
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 7-8 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped Coriander
- 4 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Mix Wheat flour and pinch of salt. Knead a dough. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Soak Red lentils in water.
- Chop Onion, Green chillis and Coriander leaves.
- Take a pressure cooker, add oil to it and keep it on flame.
- Put mustard seeds, Curry leaves, Cumin side and Green chillis.
- Now add Onions, Ginger Garlic paste, Turmeric, chilli powder and masala to it.
- Fry well and add salt and Coriander leaves.
- Add 4 cups of water and soaked Red lentils and let it boil.
- Now rool out the dough same as roti. Cut it in rectangular shape.(or in any shape you want)
- Add these pieces to the boiling Dal and put the lid on cooker
- Pressure cook it for 1 whistle and let the steam come out completely
- Once cooked, garnish it with coriander.Serve hot with lots of ghee and curd.
This is my mom’s one of the favorite dish. When i was a kid, all aunties in our apartment used to have dinner together on our terrace once in a month. And this waffole, being my mom’s special dish was always in demand by we kids. Its been looong time I had funke and Takachi kadhi prepared by mom. So that day just thought of serving this new dish to pavan.
Serves : 2
1 Cup Toor Daal
3 Tsp Moong Daal
Handful Coriander leaves
3 Garlic cloves, minced
3-4 Green Chillies
4-5 tsp Sesame Seeds
2 Tsp Cumin powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Mix Toor and Moong Daal together and wash well.
- Then Soak it in water for 3-4 hrs.
- Now drain all water and coarsely grind soaked daal.
- Chop Onion, Green Chillis and Coriander leaves .
- Mix all vegetables, salt, Cumin powder to above mixture and knead together.
- Make small dumplings of desired shape.
- Put these dumplings in a steamer/cooker and steam it for 15-20 mins.
- Serve hot oil-free healthy waffole with Takachi kadhi !
Tip : You can also add Chiway chi bhaji (Dont know its English name, but you will get it in market) for taste. Toor daal is hard to digest. So have waffole in limit . ;-).
I prepared Ukadiche Modak to offer it to Ganpati Bappa on Anant Chaturthi, as Bappa loves it and Me & Pavan too ;-). Being it the first time, I made mistakes, wastage…so much that at one point thought to give up. Finally prepared 5 Modak for Naivaidyam. But to our surprise…it came out well. Tasty ! Not sure if it made Ganpati Bappa Happy ..but definitely Pavan was very happy with my efforts 😉
For the covering:
1 Cup Rice Flour
2 Cup Water
4 tsp Ghee
A pinch of Salt
For the filling:
1 cup grated Coconut
½ cup grated Jaggery
1 tsp Poppy Seeds (optional)
1 tsp Cardamom Powder
To make Ukad (dough) :
- Boil 2 cup of water, to that add pinch of salt and tsp of ghee.
- Once boiled, add rice flour and mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 mins. and switch off the flame.
- Cover and keep aside for 10 min.
To make Chuv (stuffing) :
- Heat a pan and put jaggery in it.
- When jaggery starts melting, add 1 tsp Ghee and coconut to it.
- Mix well and cook on medium flame for 2 mins.
- Add cardamom powder and roasted poppy seeds.
- Filling is ready, keep aside to cool.
Tip : Don’t add much Jaggery and keep it for more time on heat. As heat turns jaggery into solid.
To make Modak :
- Take ukad, apply some ghee and knead ukad in soft dough.
- Split dough in small size balls.
- Now start to pat / roll ball to small Puri.
- Now stuff it with big spoon of Chuv and start to make plates around stuffing.
- Gather all plates at the center of stuffing and try to seal edges.
- Prepare all the Modaks with same process.
- Now steam all Modaks in idli cooker for 10-12 mins.
- Serve hot with a dollop of ghee…..aaahhh!!